14 November 2005

Fuzzyfeet ...


I got a call from a good friend about a part-time work-from-home gig organizing monthly luncheons and an annual meeting for a group of economists. I wouldn't be willing to take the position unless they're willing to just about double what they're paying now, but I sent a résumé.I figure I'll never know unless I ask. Besides, I've never written a résumé before, so it was an interesting exercise.

I've wanted to make a pair of Fuzzyfeet to try felting (though I believe it's more accurately described as fulling). My godmother gave me some lovely Noro Silk Garden last Christmas and I've had it in the back of my mind, mulling over what to do with it. The two ideas finally bumped into one another and voilà!

Here they are pre-felting/fulling with Mona's house hat and the first of twenty-four l'il sockies for Annailese's advent calendar (for next year) for scale,


And here they are after 8 times through the wash cycle in hot water,


They're fraternal twins. And here's a picture of a cool shadow on the livingroom wall that has nothing to do with anything.


I did the l'il sockie on a whim early in the week. The house hat has a much less impromptu provenance. It is a second attempt at a copy of a hat I made for Mona a few years ago that went walkabout. I didn't make it from a pattern, and I didn't have the original to work from, so the first attempt was too small (it's the too-small one in the pictures). It spent entirely too long in the back of Mary's vehicle with a bag of compost and got stinky, came back and got clean, then ended up in a drawer and forgotten about. Fortunately, Mona reminded me about it recently. I counted stitches and cast on that many and a few more, knit the ribbing, didn't like it, ripped it, cast on and knit it again, still didn't like it, ripped it, cast on and knit it again, knit the hat, didn't like how the decreases turned out, ripped the top third and tried something different, liked it even less, ripped the top half and tried something different, wasn't quite happy, ripped the top half again and tried something completely different, still wasn't quite happy, ripped the top third and reknit it for the last time. If I'd had any sense at all, I'd've written down what I did.

Stuff and Nonsense ...


Daylight:
Length of day: 8:42
Hours of dark: 14:00ish
Sunrise: 7:57 am
Sunset: 4:40 pm
Start of twilight: 7:19 am
End of twilight: 5:18 pm


Current weather: Light snow. -6°C (21°F), -14°C (6°F) with windchill, humidity 67%, wind NNW 25.6 km/h (16 mph.), barometer 30.36 in. Hg

Forecast:
Tonday.. Cloudy with 60% chance of flurries. Wind NW 20 km/h (mph). High -5°C (23°F).
Tonight.. Cloudy periods with 60% chance of flurries early in the evening. Low -18°C (0°F).
Tuesday.. Sunny. High -7°C (19°F).
Wednesday.. Sunny. Low -9°C (16°F). High 3°C (37°F).
Thursday.. Sunny. Low -3°C (27°F). High 6°C (43°F).
Friday.. Sunny. Low -3°C (27°F). High 0°C (32°F).
Normals for the period.. Low -11°C (12°F). High 0°C (32°F).

No comments: