21 September 2005

Change without notice ...


I worked the front desk a few times when I worked at the paper. There are a few people I still remember quite vividly:
The woman who brought us muffins because at 70 she had gone on a date for the first time in years after letting us rewrite her personal ad ... she rode her bike into the lobby in red denim overall shorts and a straw hat with flowers on it, apple cheeks and twinkly sapphire eyes,

The man with the great smile who signed his company cheques with an X,

The man with dirty white hair and dirtier clothes who came in at 8:00 a.m. to check his replies, stumbling, stooped, shaking and slurring. His ad read, "... youthful middle-aged businessman, social drinker ..."


I did oil some shelves on Saturday, and the uprights another day. I've yet to assemble them (mostly because it means removing everything from the other set and disassembling it first). It won't happen today.

Pat continues to struggle with pain management. His dad came out from Newfoundland to see him.

It warmed up out for a couple of days, so it's somewhat less frigid in here. It's cooled off again, but not as cold as it had been and there's sunshine to warm things up. A couple more weeks 'til furnace.

Miles came back to town for a few days and I'm not sure if it was helpful to Barbara or even more trouble.

I had an appointment with the bank yesterday. Brandon did not come for dinner and a movie yesterday. He went to a meeting to do some sleuthing for me for Barbara instead, bless his heart. He came over later. If the day goes okay, we'll have dinner tonight instead. There's some prep work I'd like to do in advance, but not yet. For now, I'm going back to bed 'cuz I can. I require more sleep than does Brandon. Much more. I could function just fine if I had to, but I don't have to, I'm tired and I'm going to sleep some more.

I have a few calls to make later. Oliver is having a potluck on Saturday not for his birthday. He's callling it a security party 'cuz most of the folx he's inviting have worked on our crew at the Fair at one time or another ... or plan to. He wants us all to meet his new girlfriend and it's just time for a gathering.

No comments: